East Algarve - Faro, Olhão and Tavira
Explore the peaceful East Algarve with its charming towns, elegant architecture and sights steeped in history.
This must-do day trip includes tours of:
- Faro - The Algarve capital - with its stately Old Town
- Tavira Castle: a ruined monument believed to date to Neolithic times.
- Olhão – Fishing Market
Discover the allure of Lagos and Sagres on a half-day trip to the West Algarve. Travel to the lively seaside town of Lagos and see its enticing collection of sights. Visit the Antonine Museum inside the Church of St Anthony (Igreja de Santo António) check historical local relics, and stop at the Statue of Prince Henry the Navigator to learn of Lagos’ links to the Age of Discoveries. After ogling the ocean views from Ponta da Piedade, explore the village of Sagres, perched on Europe’s southwesternmost tip
UNESCO World Heritage Site - Évora
One of Portugal’s most beautifully preserved medieval towns, Évora is an enchanting place to dig into the past.
Inside the 14th-century walls, Évora’s narrow, winding lanes lead to outstanding architectural works:
- An sumptuous medieval cathedral and cloisters;
- The columns of the Templo Romano;
- The picturesque town square (once the site of some rather gruesome episodes courtesy of the Inquisition).
Outside of town, Neolithic monuments and rustic wineries make for fine day trips.